A business coach improves the life of the business leader
CEOs and business owners live lonely lives, as every decision is impactful. From strategy to culture creation to inspiring leadership, a business owner is always on. Therefore, just as elite athletes need a coach to perform at sustained higher levels, a business coach enhances the life of business leaders. The institute of coaching studied the impact of business coaching and found a 70% improvement in work performance. Therefore, to help you find that improved performance, we’ve put together a checklist to help business leaders find the right business coach.
Business coach Checklist
- They’ve been there, done it. It is important to find a CEO coach who has walked in your shoes and experienced the loneliness of the CEO seat. You want a coach who has hired and fired people, had to meet payroll, conceptualized a vision and executed profitably.
- Clarity in mindset methodology. An impactful coach will have a methodology that provides structure and process for both the human aspects of leadership and the growth mindset for strategy.
- Accountability systems. Your role as CEO is to generate business results. Your coach will challenge you to reach beyond your comfort zone and hold you accountable for doing the things you say you will do.
- Roadblock strategies. Your business coach is your Sherpa for helping you climb your Everest. There are multiple paths to reach your goal and your coach has the strategies to overcome the roadblocks on the way.
- Mutual fit and respect. Coaching is intimate, raw and emotional. I know more about my clients than some of their spouses, so there must be trust and respect.
- Carefrontational, curious and candid. The art and science of business coaching CEOs and owners is founded on the skills of your coach to be carefrontational, expressing candor, caring and curiosity.
Kirk McMillan has been coaching business leaders at the highest levels for a decade. Likewise, consider a Vistage CEO peer board that creates a world-class leadership development environment.